Over 1000 cast iron balustrade columns built in 1869, located on a hill just South of the historic city centre of Florence and based on architect Giuseppe Poggi design have been restored. The area was part of the 19th century redevelopment works on the left bank of the Arno river. Florence, at that time, was the capital city of Italy and urban renovation projects were happening everywhere.
The balaustrade restoration took place at the Neri workshop and lasted over a year. The cast iron pieces were cast by the Royal Foundry of Follonica, one of the most renowned historical foundries of the time. At the base of some columns there was the acronym R.F.F. (Regie Fonderie di Follonica).
The balustrade, after 150 years, was in a very precarious and dangerous state due to the stress it has to withstand containing thousands of visitors that every day admire Florence from Piazzale Michelangelo.
The balcony has now returned to its splendour, like a perfect crown to the panoramic square overlooking Florence.